Buy the new Zambia Self-Drive Guide Book from the T4A online shop by 30 April 2021 and stand to win two places on the Zambian Migrations Expedition hosted by Ultimate Adventures.
Wild, vibrant and little explored – Zambia is set to be the next big overlanding destination in Africa. For the past decade T4A co-founder Johann Groenewald has travelled to Zambia regularly. “On every trip I fall more in love with this country,” he says. Want to know what makes Zambia so special? Get the new Zambia Self-Drive Guide Book for the ins and outs of visiting Zambia. What’s more, you could win the chance to join the Zambian Migrations Expedition in November 2021.
On expedition in Zambia
Every year, Zambia is the setting for two of the most dramatic spectacles in nature – and hardly anyone is there to see it. Organised by Ultimate Adventures, the Zambian Migrations Expedition takes you to remote areas of the country to witness two of the greatest wildlife phenomena on the planet.
The wildebeest migration
Second only to the migration in the Serengeti, Zambia’s annual trek sees some 40,000 wildebeest congregate in Liuwa Plain National Park. They are following the rains and on their way they are joined by significant herds of zebra. Liuwa Plain is also home to antelope like tsessebe and oribi, as well as predators like lion, spotted hyena and cheetah.
A migration of millions
The migration in Kasanka National Park is of another order of magnitude. During November, up to 10 million straw-coloured fruit bats roost in the park’s fruit trees. At dusk, they take to the skies – a chance for spectacular photography.
What the tour entails
The Zambia Migrations Expedition is a 14-day tour that not only takes in these wildlife spectacles, but also lets you unwind fully. “The itinerary is designed to maximise time in each destination. It feels like a holiday – you won’t just be spending hours and hours in the car every day,” says Simon Steadman, Ultimate Adventures co-owner and guide.
The expedition includes all camping and park fees, dinner every night, and expert guiding and 4×4 support (Simon is a 4×4 driving instructor). Participants are responsible for their own fuel, border fees, drinks, other meals/snacks and VHF radio hire (R35/day).
Dates: 1-14 November 2021
Day 5-6: Liuwa Plain NP
Day 7: Liuwa Plain NP to Kafue
Day 8: Kafue to Forest Inn Campsite
Day 9: Forest Inn to Kasanka NP
Day 10: Kasanka NP
Day 13: Livingstone to Elephant Sands
Day 14: Elephant Sands to home
“This is one of our favourite tours of the year, because it offers so much,” says Simon. “A real highlight is the remoteness and vastness of Liuwa Plain National Park. It is wild and you don’t see a lot of people, exactly what most overlanders are looking for – to get away from the crowds.
“The bat migration at Kasanka is something that people are never really prepared for. It’s mindblowing to see such a huge concentration of any animal. We never get tired of it.”
How to enter
For a chance to win, buy the Tracks4Africa Zambia Self-Drive Guide Book from the T4A online shop by 30 April 2021. All online purchases of the book made up to this date will automatically be entered into the competition (this includes purchases made before the competition announcement).
Get your copy of the Zambia Self-Drive Guide.
The prize consists of two places on a 14-day guided tour, the Zambia Migrations Expedition, to be completed in the winner’s own vehicle. The tour includes guiding and guide fees, dinner daily, camping and park fees. All other meals, drinks, fuel and border costs will be for the winner’s own account.
Competition rules and terms
- The competition applies only to purchases of the Tracks4Africa Zambia Self-Drive Guide Book via the Tracks4Africa online shop.
- It is not open to employees and their family members of Tracks4Africa, Ultimate Adventures and their promotion agencies.
- The competition runs until 30 April 2021. Only purchases made from the T4A online shop will be considered eligible.
- The winner will be randomly selected and informed by email in the first week of May. The winner’s name will be published on the Tracks4Africa blogsite.
- This is a self-drive tour and the winner will be responsible for their own vehicle and associated costs such as visas and travel insurance.
- The prize excludes fuel, border and ferry fees, drinks, breakfast, lunch and VHF radio hire, as well as travel to and from the rendezvous point.
- The winner must be able to take up the prize during the advertised dates.
- The prize cannot be exchanged for cash and neither Tracks4Africa nor Ultimate Adventures accepts any responsibility for changes to the tour or resulting losses.