Autumn 2016 is an exciting time at Tracks4Africa as we have just launched an update of the Botswana paper map and the long-awaited Android version of the T4A Guide App, which was launched last year for Apple devices and very well received by travellers.
Tracks4Africa Guide App
With modern-day electronic devices such as smartphones and tablets, the technology used on the road by travellers has developed to such an extent that Tracks4Africa had to rethink the way in which it makes its traveller information accessible. Tablets specifically give you a big enough screen, a fast enough processor, an integrated GPS, camera and communication capability.
The App is not a routing/navigation tool, but even though it will not navigate you on a turn by turn basis to a destination, it automatically solves more than half of your navigation problems since it shows your location accurately as you travel, on an excellent map with good guide content, and it plots your intended destination with equal accuracy.
The good quality and visually appealing map, aimed at the needs of a self-drive traveller, is available offline, together with a host of valuable information about camping, lodging, eating, fuel stops, shops, services, attractions, places and many more Points of Interest around you, supported by photos where available.
The map works like a web map and you can zoom via several layers of detail down to an approximate scale of 1: 150 000. The map is loaded onto your device, so is completely offline and can be used in the middle of nowhere without the need for an internet connection.
The generic App is free and contains samples of the map and guide information. If you like what you see, simply go to in-app purchases and buy the particular country map with its complete guide that you need for your next trip.
The map regions available on the App are:
- South Africa (including Lesotho and Swaziland)
- Angola to Mozambique (including Zambia and Zimbabwe)
- Indian Ocean Islands
- East Africa
- Central Africa
- West Africa
- North Africa
The guides are sold according to year e.g. Namibia 2016 edition. Tracks4Africa will provide free updates for one year after your initial purchase has been replaced by a new edition. In other words, if you buy the 2016 edition, you will receive updates throughout 2016 and 2017. You can obviously continue to use your existing guide for as long as you want. It does not expire.
Tracks4Africa Botswana Paper Map
The 4th edition of the Botswana paper map, printed on PolyArt (a top quality tear and water-resistant paper) at a scale of 1:1 000 000, has also just been released.
Features of the new map include:
- Distances and travel times have been updated from our latest track recordings vault.
- The detail maps include even more detail and the layout is such that these maps read more easily.
- The Okavango Delta has a more detailed vector graphic which makes orientation easier.
- Border crossing points and opening times have been updated as well as information about what you need to get through the border.
- Point of Interest corrections include new fuel stops as well as lodges that have closed down, etc.
- Information about driving conditions, legal requirements for driving in Botswana, traffic rules, camping etiquette, how to act around wild animals and general information about the country is also supplied on the map.
The map is available from our online store.